Qemu support for mcimx6ul-evk machine

From: Pratik Parvati
Subject: Qemu support for mcimx6ul-evk machine
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2019 10:41:36 +0530

Hi Support team,

Lately, I am trying to get Linux up on qemu-arm mcimx6ul-evk machine using buildroot. I have generated all the images required for my target machine. Following are the steps I followed for building images on buildroot (version: buildroot-2016.11.1).

$ make freescale_imx6ulevk_defconfig
$ make nconfig

I have selected the packages required for my qemu build and then built the images using command

$ make

in "output/images" I see the following images generated,
boot.vfat,  imx6ul-14x14-evk.dtb,  rootfs.ext2,  rootfs.ext4,  rootfs.tar,  sdcard.img,  u-boot.bin,  u-boot.imx,  zImage.

I am referring this article to replicate the same for mcimx6ul-evk. I ran the below command to boot Linux on my target machine

$ qemu-system-arm -M mcimx6ul-evk -m 512M -kernel output/images/zImage -monitor stdio -drive file=output/images/rootfs.ext2,format=raw

I don't see Linux booting on the serial0 console without any logs. can someone please help me how to resolve this? Or am I missing something here?

Note: The qemu(version: qemu-4.1.0) is built for arm target using below commands.

$ ./configure --target-list=arm-softmmu --enable-sdl
$ make
$ sudo make install

Thanks & Regards,
Pratik