pspp-users

variable limits?

From: Mogerman Rob
Subject: variable limits?
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2014 19:56:41 -0700 (PDT)

I am very inexperienced with pspp and spss.  I have been using pspp on linux to create .sav files  using a sps def file using the command "pspp xxxx.sps" which runs and outputs the file very nicely until today when trying this on a new study.  This data file has just under 200 variables.

I get a bunch of truncating label warnings.  Do I just get too many?  Do I just need to clean all the labels to be shorter?

xxxx.sps:920: warning: VALUE LABELS: Truncating value label to 60 characters.
xxxx.sps:924: warning: VALUE LABELS: Truncating value label to 60 characters.
xxxx.sps:925: warning: VALUE LABELS: Truncating value label to 60 characters.
xxxx.sps:926: warning: VALUE LABELS: Truncating value label to 60 characters.
xxxx.sps:927: warning: VALUE LABELS: Truncating value label to 60 characters.
xxxx.sps:951: warning: VALUE LABELS: Truncating value label to 60 characters.
Warnings (262) exceed limit (100).
Warnings (262) exceed limit (100).