pspp-users

Building PSPP from source problem

From: ErikF
Subject: Building PSPP from source problem
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 19:35:01 -0700 (PDT)

Tried to build from pspp-stable-20090311.tar.gz downloaded from
http://pspp.benpfaff.org/~blp/.
I have an intel P4 running openSuSE 10.3, so I've followed instructions from
http://jstover.motd.org/cgi-bin/oddmuse.cgi/openSUSE. All required
dependencies according to this list are confirmed installed from repository
via Yast, but on ./configure, message says:

configure: WARNING: The following optional prerequisites are not installed.
You may wish to install them to obtain additional functionality:
        libxml2
configure: error: The following required prerequisites are not installed.
You must install them before PSPP can be built:
        gtk+ 2.0 v2.12 or later (or use --without-gui)
        libglade 2.0 v2.6.0 or later (or use --without-gui)

Perhaps ./configure can't find the 1st and 3rd items and there's a path
issue. I did get the gtk+-2.14.0 source tar but building that turned into a
nasty bit of similar trouble with finding dependencies like cairo on my
system. (and I did follow the messages from ./configure for the gtk+ and
found Yast confirms all those dependencies are already installed). Then it
occurred to me I probably already have gtk+ too and pspp ./configure just
can't find it either.
Any suggestions for a newbie?