pspp-dev

Re: windows installers

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: windows installers
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 08:14:05 +0200

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 05:31:15PM -0300, Michel Boaventura wrote:

     I've been working with students from Social Sciences, Pedagogy and
Statistics for about 15 years and it seems
     to me that students with a more technical background usually use R or even
Python. For me, PSPP and SPSS meant
     to be used by people who like to just point, click, run an analysis, build
a report and call it a day.

Yes.  That is my impression too.   It would be interesting to see a study
investigating whether there is any relationship between students' preference
for point-and-click and their comprehension of statistical principles and
the correct circumstances to apply a particular test.

     Usually when they are talking to me about PSPP the suggestions are usually
related to the output not being
     editable and polished like on SPSS, since they are used to edit it on the
fly and generate a report. (For
     which I usually advice them to export an ODS and use LibreOffice to do
what they need).

Somewhere I have an experimental version of PSPP which instead of ouputting to
its own window, connects to an existing Libreoffice instance and renders all
its output there.   I've been wondering for a while if I should resurrect that
code and have it as a standard option for PSPP.

     I think this is very similar to what usually happens with me being a
back-end developer. No matter if the
     system is well implemented and robust, users usually judge it by how
"shine" the system looks.

Again, I think you're right.  But I was taught since an early age that it is
wrong to judge by appearances, so I don't take much notice of those sorts of
users.

J'