pspp-dev

Re: TP: pspp -- msgfmt errors

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: TP: pspp -- msgfmt errors
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2020 13:13:25 +0200

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 12:34:04PM +0200, Friedrich Beckmann wrote:
     At the moment glade is build by default.

Correct.

     This results in compiling many gui source files twice.

Also correct.

     You removed the configure option ??????-with-gui-tools??? which
     resulted in the glade build when activated.

This is not correct. The --with-gui-tools option is no more, but that
defined a special library, which has now been removed.

     Is glade now required for running psppire?

No.  It is only required editing the .ui files.

So far as I can ascertain, there is no way, using automake, that we
can define a shared library which is NOT built by default.   I also
don't understand why automake builds things twice, when only once
is necessary.

For these reasons (and others) I'm not a great fan of automake, but
it does have a few portability advantages, and is the GNU prefered
way of doing things.

Note however that libpsppire-glade.so is not installed by "make install"
(or ever).  Of course, I could define another configure time flag like
--enable-libpsppire-glade which is disabled by default,  but I am
reluctant to do that, because such a flag will be used only rarely and
we'll not notice when it stops working - we'll  notice only when we
urgently need it.

As you mention, this does put a certain overhead in the build time.
I think I can probably mitigate this, by defining a "convenience
library" containing the common items.   In the meantime, I think the
solution we have is the best compromise.

J'