Re: [phpGroupWare-users] Re: Calendar VERY slow!

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: [phpGroupWare-users] Re: Calendar VERY slow!
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 18:44:11 +1000

On Sat, 2006-10-28 at 01:44 -0700, Andy Stewart wrote:

> Roughly 15 active accounts, one for each lab.
>
> Concurrent users:  not many at all, maybe 3-4, no-one is using it
> until I fix the speed issue.   It's currently 4:30am on Saturday
> morning, I'm the only one that's on phpGW, and it's slow loading the
> calendar.
>
> SQL accounts.
>
> Holidays load from localhost.  I just tried changing it to load from
> phpgroupware.org and there was no change.
>
> Hard to say if anything changed around the time of the slowdown.  I
> loaded it over the summer and all was fine, told the teachers about it
> and I went on my way.  Then I hear from them about a month ago that
> it's slow, so I don't know exactly when the slowdown occurred.  Best I
> can say is sometime between the beginning of August and the beginning
> of October.
>
>  :d Well, as a last-minute thought before posting this, I tried
> turning off "autoload calendar holidays files dynamically", now the
> calendar pops right up.
>
> We don't really need the holidays since it's being used as a lab
> scheduling calendar, so I'll likely leave the autoload off, but out of
> curiousity, any idea why that would cause the slowdown, especially
> since I have it set to load from localhost?

Sounds like a firewall issue.  phpGW waits until the connection times
out.  As your firewall is likely to be silently dropping the packets,
rather than rejecting them which notifies phpgw straight away.  Try
allowing localhost access to localhost on port 80 (or 443 if you are
using https).  This should solve the problem.

Cheers

Dave
--
Dave Hall (aka skwashd)
API Coordinator
|_|         |_|                         |_|Web based collaboration platform