Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Group names / translation

From: Charles Martin
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Group names / translation
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 13:12:58 -0400

Hi Guillaume and all,

    Well, it seems to me like a cross between db and display issue, as 'Group' gets set as a contact's (or person, not sure of the terminology here)  last name when they're created. I guess this could be left "as-is" and be overridden somewhere in the api like common->get_owner_name() ( I haven't figured out yet where the replacement should take place exactly, maybe it's deeper etc.) where I could 'hardcode' a condition like "When lastname == 'Group', return translated _expression_ for group name" but it seems a bit deep in the api structure to do such a change without any ideas of the usage of such a function in the applications.

As far as the french translations, I did have to correct some spelling mistakes (like 'crée' -> 'créé' :-P ) and some wrongly encoded accents but, most of the changes were motivated by my own (and co-workers...) opinion of which words should be used in some situations (Enregistrer instead of Sauver, Terminé instead of Fait etc.). Do you have a prepared diff command I could run and send you the ouput so you could decide which changes to place into the release? (I also had to modify some templates/applications which were not completely "translation-friendly" so I could send these too if the diff command traced them)

Thanks for the rapid answer!

--

Charles Martin  Programmeur Analyste
819.378.4242  acolytecommunication.com

Guillaume Courtois wrote:
Hi Charles,

Yes I've already corrected most of your posts in savannah, thanks for that !

If it's for the display of the group names we can have translations, if it's
for the storing in the db it seems pretty problematic to me ? But others devs
should give their opinion too, maybe I'm wrong.

If you see other corrections to the translations, don't hesitate ! (I've done
most of the french ones, but I know there are mistakes ;-)

Bye.

Charles Martin (address@hidden) écrivait:

Hi guys,

    This is my first post to this mailing-list. I've been playing around
with phpGW for about a week now and I've pretty much got to the point
where we have a usable system (I had to play around a couple of
translation holes, plug some features from our other system here and fix
some bugs (which were then sent to the Savanah bug tracking system :-P )
Now, there is still one little problem that's bugging me and, I'd like
to have some pointers as to how you guys  would resolve it:

Our system is completely configured in french but, it seems like the
groups names are hardcoded in the system as

 /groupname/ Group

whichs sounds a bit weird in french, so, I'd like to know if there's an
easy way to use a lang _expression_ like

%1 Group

whick I could then translate to anything, like

%1 (groupe)
Le groupe des %

etc.

Any ideas around that problem or early implementations I could integrate?

Thanks in advance, great app by the way :-)

P.S. I posted this question to the forum.phpgroupware.org but that place
seems pretty quiet...