Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Outlook Calendar Interoperability (Automatic Fr

From: Doug Dicks
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Outlook Calendar Interoperability (Automatic Free/Busy Publishing)
Date: 12 Aug 2003 09:14:50 -0500

Hello Brian.  Thanks for the response.

On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 22:48, Brian Johnson wrote:
> My $0.02:
>
> Option 1 (easiest): open a browser, log onto phpgw, and look
>
> Option 2 (still easy but might be some resistance from users): open a
> browser, log
> onto phpgw, and look.  Also, use phpgw as your own event storage

Technically possible, of course, since it requires nothing but training
the user base.  But that is often harder than it sounds - this
particular user base will be resistant to this type of approach.  For
now, my requirement is "they shall use Outlook"

> Option 3: check out the hamoa outlook to phpgw sync app to see if it's
> suitable

While I can download the demo, it appears (if the babelfish translation
of the German license is correct) that I need to buy it if it goes to
production.  I'm going to continue to pursue free solutions right now.

> Ooption 4: doesn't outlook support ODBC connections?  Write ODBC SELECT
> queries to
> update someone's calendar each time they log in (pita and ACL will have to be
> manually implemented)

Not sure.  Probably more problems that I want to get into right now.

> Option 5: look into the phpgw xmlrpc interface

Maybe.  If I end up writing some type of sync, this might be the way to
go.

Thanks,

Doug
--