Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Login performance

From: Jorge Izquierdo
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Login performance
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 09:50:51 +0200

Thanks but it doesn´t seem to be the problem, I have datetime disable (00 in my setup).

I´m going to trace the create_session function of the phpgwapi/inc directory to see where it takes so much time. But I´ve seen a courios behavior which may give any experienced user some hints of what is happening:

Let´s say I have started two browsers from different machines and loaded the login start page. I try to authenticate myself in one of them and it get stalled on the creation of the session. After some minutes my user of the browser where I auth myself didn´t reach the home page, and I try to authenticate with a different user on the other browser (on a different machine). This other user also get stalled but, when the first user proceed with his home page, inmediatly the user in the second browser gets his home page (as if the first login gets up the server and the rest of people triying to log in enters the applicaction ;-).

Any ideas? Another hint....I can see inmediatly the file which identifies the session on my tmp directory but it has no data (0 bytes) until the session starts. Maybe this will help to limit the trace process, any ideas of where to search?

Thanks again, I´m sure we finally reach the solution ;-)

Jorge

Dave Hall escribió:
Marcus Frischherz <address@hidden> wrote:

Zitat von "Lars Kneschke(priv.)" <address@hidden>:

Chris Weiss <address@hidden> schrieb: I also have another idea. Maybe your webserver is not able to communicate with the

internet. Someone

added a access to a time server in the internet, to sync the

time at login.

If your webserver is not able to communicate with the internet,

the socket

hangs until a timeout occurs.

Oh... that I don't like. I synchronize my server myself, I don't want anyone else fiddling with it. Also, the user under which Apache is running, usually does not have root privileges, which I suppose are necessary for setting the time of the server? How to deactivate this?

The time sync is just calling time-a.nist.gov to get the time, it does
not change the system time, just makes sure the time in phpgw is
correct.  It uses port 13(daytime) or 80(http).  It is only called when
you run setup.

To disable it go into http://server.com/phpgroupware/setup login to
setup/config click on edit config there should be a datetime port - set
it to "00 - disable"

Marcus