Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Login performance

From: Jorge Izquierdo
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Login performance
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 12:52:02 +0200

I dont´think is a problem of version, I have tested this same versions on other machine and it works well. I think is some problem of the machine where it´s installed.

Now it´s working well withoout any changes of configuration or version of software. The only thing I did was to restart the OpenLDAP server because it was having another problem and then it works. But I expect that it would not last too long, and when the number of sessions established with my LDAP (on the same machine) will grow up, the behavior will be the same as before.

I will tell you if this happens again and if the restart of the openldap server is the "solution". Thanks for help.

Jorge

Dave Hall escribió:
Jorge Izquierdo <address@hidden> wrote:

I´m going to trace the create_session function of the

phpgwapi/inc
directory to see where it takes so much time. But I´ve seen a courios behavior which may give any experienced user some hints of what

is
happening:

btw what is your setup again?  accounts storage? php version?
rdms+version? and apache version? platform?

Apache 2.0.46, PHP 4.3.2 and MySQL 4.0.13 on Solaris8 sparc. I have also tested with Apache 2.0.43 and PHP 4.3.0 with the same result. I use OpenLDAP 2.1.17 to authenticate my users (it seems to work well).

Anything else?

any chance of trying something less cutting edge?  say apache 1.3.x and
mysql 3.23.x?  Then change 1 then the other.  I suspect it might be a
apache2 issue.

Jorge

Let´s say I have started two browsers from different machines

and
loaded the login start page. I try to authenticate myself in one of

them
and it get stalled on the creation of the session. After some minutes

my
user of the browser where I auth myself didn´t reach the home page,

and
I try to authenticate with a different user on the other browser (on a different machine). This other user also get stalled but, when

the
first user proceed with his home page, inmediatly the user in the

second
browser gets his home page (as if the first login gets up the server and the rest of people triying to log in enters the applicaction ;-).

Any ideas? Another hint....I can see inmediatly the file which identifies the session on my tmp directory but it has no data (0 bytes) until the session starts. Maybe this will help to limit the

trace
process, any ideas of where to search?

Thanks again, I´m sure we finally reach the solution ;-)

Jorge

Dave Hall escribió:

Marcus Frischherz <address@hidden> wrote:

Zitat von "Lars Kneschke(priv.)" <address@hidden>:

Chris Weiss <address@hidden> schrieb: I also have another idea. Maybe your webserver is not able to communicate with the

internet. Someone

added a access to a time server in the internet, to sync the

time at login.

If your webserver is not able to communicate with the

internet,
the socket

hangs until a timeout occurs.

Oh... that I don't like. I synchronize my server myself, I

don't
want anyone else fiddling with it. Also, the user under which Apache is running, usually does not have root privileges, which I suppose are necessary

for
setting the time of the server? How to deactivate this?

The time sync is just calling time-a.nist.gov to get the time,

it does

not change the system time, just makes sure the time in phpgw is
correct. It uses port 13(daytime) or 80(http). It is only

called when

you run setup.

To disable it go into http://server.com/phpgroupware/setup

login to

setup/config click on edit config there should be a datetime

port - set

it to "00 - disable"

Marcus