Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Database migration from mySQL to PostgreSQL

From: Jamie Lawrence
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Database migration from mySQL to PostgreSQL
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 11:07:53 -0500

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, Chris Weiss wrote:

> Koller Daniel (address@hidden) wrote*:
> >My question is now, whether in the field of users there is some experience
> present, regarding
> >- switching from mySQL to PostgreSQL, and more in general,
>
> Technicaly, you should be able to do a structure and data dump of the databse
> from
> mysql and run the resulting script on pg to restore it there.  you will most
> likely
> have to do som editing on the sql dump for datatypes and index syntax and
> such, but
> i'm not that familiar with pg.

From the other side, I haven't used MySQL very much, but have moved
PGPGW between postgres installations.

Two things that were annoying in that move were default permissions (not
that big a deal, really, just another thing) and sequence values.

You'll have to generate all your sequences with the correct starting
value, otherwise you'll end up with errors on inserts due to duplicate
primary keys. IIRC, MySQL does sequence behaviour via a magic increment
function, whereas PG has a table-like entity for grabbing the next
value.

I've seen some scripts floating about for converting from Mysql to PG.
You might check Freshmeat - they may be a help.

-j

--
Jamie Lawrence                                        address@hidden
"I have opinions of my own, strong opinions, but I don't always