partysip-dev

[Partysip-dev] osip news and partysip improvments.

From: Aymeric Moizard
Subject: [Partysip-dev] osip news and partysip improvments.
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 17:38:43 +0200 (CEST)

Some partysip news:

I have updated some MACROs in osip and I've done the same modification in
partysip. the script rep.sh should go through your sources and modify
the files by renaming all changed MACROs.
Else, you can add the code before including osip:

#define trace osip_trace
#define TRACE(P) P

It's probably enough if you don't trust my script which may not be very
reliable! :/

Starting from a patch to support mutiple host, I have also
improved the rules used for url comparison with a domain.
All this makes partysip more reliable against loop which
was the main issue that users seems to get from the
begginning. Linux also has automatic detection process
on linux. I'm expecting some contributions to get this
running for other OS. :/ Other minor fixes, mainly to
fix the interoperablity issues have been fixed. I got
a limited number of SIP devices and partysip needs
bugs reports to fix all issues.

Concerning the next developpement, partysip has a major issue. Statefull
and stateless module are running both at the same time and the plugins are
called before any transactions is initiated. (because plugins can decide
to forward the request in stateless mode). Because of this *and because of
the multi-threaded architecture of partysip,* a retransmission could be
processed as a new request instead of being detected at first as a
retransmission.

This race condition will happen as soon as you'll enter a very slow
plugin or as soon as the traffic will increase.

This modification sounds highly required. I'll start working on it
shortly. I will also probably provide a non-multithreaded version
of partysip at the same time. The sfp.c and slp.c will probably be
rewritten as code look ugly... I was certainly tired at this time.

I would like to thanks all the people that have sent me advises, patches
and bug reports. This really helps.

If you want to contrribute, here are some ideas:
 * plugin that log all requests in syslog? or partysip.log?
 * plugin that reads all 2xx answers for REGISTER and updates
   a web page acording to the list of "loggued" user.
 * plugin that would read a configuration from a file
   (with "routing" rules, "reject" rules, "forward" rules)
   This would allow an easy configuration when using partysip
   with gateways or when you want to use some specific routing
   rules.
 * a plugin such the one above could get dynamic rules
   added during the session without restarting partysip.
   The plugin API could have a new method such as:
   plugin_command(char *optname,char*optvalue);
   From the interactive interface of partysip, typing:
   "pluginname optname optvalue" will do the job.
 * a plugin that add/update/remove REGISTRATIONS in a database.
   (SQL, LDAP...). This is actually highly needed as
   any crash leads to a long time without registrations.
 * Suppport for being a presence server with: SUBSCRIBE and NOTIFY.
 * NAT feature.
 * much more.

If you wish to work on those topics or any other usefull one,
let me know.

Aymeric