Re: [Paparazzi-devel] apogee board 2.0 - feature questions

From: Jan Čapek
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] apogee board 2.0 - feature questions
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 20:23:02 +0200

Hi,

let me comment on this: Gautier was pointing out to eliminate the backup
capacitor since the RTC could get synchronised from the GPS or from the
ground station if no GPS is available. We have tested the gold cap
setup on Apogee 1.0 and it doesn't seem to hold the RTC system backup
for a very long time. It looks like the power is gone within 0.5-1hour
after the system has been disconnected from the main power source. I
would be interested in other people experience. Unfortunately, the STM
datasheets don't seem to specify the expected current that is being
drawn by the battery backup subsystem. We have tested the same goldcaps
separately outside of the board and they retain their voltage for days.

Removing the goldcap would give us some extra space to move
the IMU further away from the switching power supply - thanks Gautier
for this valuable input.

Back to your question - the port has fully integrated RTC - external
32kHz oscillator and the system enables/uses the interal RTC subsystem.
And it will do so even if the goldcap will get removed. Just the source
for synchronizing the clock will either be GPS or the ground station.

Jan