Re: [Paparazzi-devel] apogee board 2.0 - feature questions

From: Jan Čapek
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] apogee board 2.0 - feature questions
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 21:52:24 +0200

Hi Martin,

see below
On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 20:24:48 +0200
Martin Mueller <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Jan,

> >> For some historical reasons, GND is always on pin 1 of all
> >> connectors, so doing this you will be hobbyking compliant but not
> >> pprz anymore (hello magic smoke)
> >> You better buy a tool to swap the hobbyking's harness molex pins :
> >> http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/0011030043/WM9937-ND/252489
> > I am aware of this, swapping is not a problem. However, a regular
> > user may not notice that reverse layout. Magic smoke won't happen
> > in either case since the power+ is always in the middle, in the
> > worst case you would just ground the servo signal. We will consider
> > your objection.
>
> changing pin 1 not to be GND only for servo plugs creates an unneeded
> headache. HK is not a big standard either.
Well, this is still a big question for us. We have a lot of experience
from the the RC model/racing world, where pin 1 is always the signal pin
for servos. I don't consider HK to be a standard, what is considered a
standard are the futaba/JR connectors and associated harnesses (not
being offered only by HK)

> It is not only about servos, there might be other 3-pin devices that
> are now (relatively) safe to plug into a servo connector. Even
> plugging it to a bigger connector is pretty much safe as long as you
> keep pin 1 aligned.
>
> If you are using a standard servo connector anyway, would integrating
> a standard 2.54mm header be an option (creating a slightly bigger
> board)?
Well, if the board becomes bigger, it would loose some of its unique
properties in terms of dimensions. Currently it is very suitable for
miniature aircrafts etc.

> Having a better barometer (MS5611) would be nice.
Thank you for the input, this is also a good point.

> Martin
Best regards,

Jan