Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Reports from IMAV2013

From: David Conger
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Reports from IMAV2013
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 11:21:25 +0100

I was there. It was a fantastic event. I do not believe there was a single fixed wing entry. The outdoor competitors had to brave very high winds and cloudy skies. Fortunately the overcast was high enough to be well above the 50m altitude limit. A couple fly away quads seemed to be unable to fight the wind. A team from Iran flying a SmartAP and TUDelft with paparazzi were able to fly autonomously and even navigate the very difficult "corredor" (flying between two pylons to simulate a corridor). Not an easy feat in what felt like 20kt+ winds. The best of show in my opinion was TUDelft and their shock and awe mass autonomous display. I didn't count but there was at least 4 AR Drones powered up and set down which lifted off and flew completely unaided and without commands from the ground. Only one operator was at the ground station and running back and forth setting out many quadshots, ARDrone and mini quads. All in the air at the same time at one point. It was really amazing to see and my hats off to their ability to coordinate and execute a very complex entry. If you have a quadshot, ARDrone you have a nice surprise coming in the code when they upload their changes. For those with quads and fixed wing obviously that's all working quite well and will only improve in the future as well.

What was truly a bit of a surprise was how someone with a single FunJet setup with completely vanilla paparazzi code could likely have taken easily a prize by simply taking off, flying the pylons enough times for points and auto landing within the target zone. This wind would have been no problem for a fast fixed wing. I guess hindsight is everything but research and some study of the rules for all the ways to earn points would go a long way. If the funjet had cameras looking down possibly even more points for recognizing the QR codes as it lapped the pylongs.

I am already making plans to go in 2014 as a spectator. Maybe I can get a spot on the ENAC team helping in some way (hint hint) and be a part of what looks to be an even more challenging venue next year. To anyone who's wanted to go, even to just spectate, do it. Contact the list and ask any questions you may have. As if you can help in some way. It is very much a volunteer friendly event. It was also a very casual event in that everyone was encouraged and helped by everyone else. Ideas exchanged and the food was incredible. If you do not speak French you are in luck next year is in the Netherlands. They speak perfect english and usually several other languages. I suppose the dutch never sleep and fill that gap with learning (and mischief)  ;]

I would like to personally thank ENAC team (Catherine, Michel, Gautier, Murat, Felix and everyone I met there for the first time) for making me feel so welcome to spectate and interact with all my friends I have met here on the list. You all exceeded my expectations for your kindness, openness, generosity and intelligence. Thank you.

-- David