Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Interference in flight Umarim lite 2.0

From: Martin Mueller
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Interference in flight Umarim lite 2.0
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 20:21:37 +0100

Hi Joseph,

My plane flies great and is properly set up for AUTO1. However, during
the last two flights I could only control the plane intermittently.  As
soon as I would start throttle again I would lose control of the plane.

On the ground everything works fine including range test.

All wires are twisted but none are shielded.

Grounding:
-ESC and Umarim share the same ground from the battery supply
-ESC's BEC seem to have common ground (measures 0 V between Umarim
ground and BEC ground)
-RX and Xbee get the ground from Umarim
-Servos get +5V and ground from ESC's BEC
-No ground on motor or motor plate

I am not sure where to start, if anyone has had a similar issue and
found a fix that would help me a lot.

sounds like a ground issue. Between the Umarim and the servos ground line is the battery -> ESC path. If you run the engine you will have a current in that path that creates a voltage that disturbs the servo signals. Try connecting the servos ground directly to the Umarim.

If that helps maybe the "Large Aircraft Connection Diagram" picture in the Wiki needs an update.

Martin