Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Offer from a thankful new user

From: Chris Gough
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Offer from a thankful new user
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 22:21:20 +1000

Nathan,

Hi there neighbor, I'm just down the road in Canberra; but I'm coming
from a similar place to you in more ways than one. I'm also a Linux
veteran with 10+ years in software development. Unlike many Paparazzi
users, I don't have a background in electronics, aeronautical
engineering, control theory or embedded systems. My paparazzi journey
has been a steep learning curve. I don't interpret this as a
deficiency in the documentation or communications technology, it's
because it's hard. Just because it's Linux software doesn't make me an
expert, I enjoy the challenge.

The paparazzi developers do enough by continuing to improve this great
free software that works. The debian packaging and documentation are
convenient for me, and the community provides generous support. I
couldn't ask for any more from them, thank you!

If you want to push paparazzi "across the chasm" of technology
adoption from experts (and determined geeks) to FPV pilots, AP
enthusiasts and others with less technical capacity, it will take a
lot more than new wiki features and a some HOWTO documents. Playing
devil's advocate, why should anyone bother? what's in it for the
existing Paparazzi community?

An online training program might help new users up the curve. More
packaging and distribution work on live CDs or VirtualBox images might
lower the bar. Done right, those are significant efforts. Why not just
explain what the user callable routines do in the wiki? Or chuck a few
shrimps on the barbie and call a meeting of the East Australian
Paparazzi Fan Club - I'll be there with bells on.

Chris Gough