Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Port airborne code to Linux

From: Achim Walther
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Port airborne code to Linux
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 10:02:48 +0100

> Is it time to start moving the paparazzi airborne code to Linux? What do
> you

Yes and No. :-)

I cannot speak for Paparazzi here because I'm not implementing it - just signed
up to this list to be kept updated. I've been developing a Linux based
autopilot for the last 4 years and reached a stable traffic circuit last
sommer. Like Marcus I'm using a Gumstix onboard computer together with an
improved Rotomotion IMU.

On one hand Linux has the advantage to provide an uniform and convenient
environment for rapid prototyping. Connecting a GPS is just a "cat /dev/ttyS3"
and connecting I2C is easy as well. Using SD cards there is lots of disk space
for extensive logging. I am currently testing the fusion of SRTM data with
altitude information - SRTM files for Germany take about 200 MB. Bluetooth or
Wi-Fi provide standardized communication (think of GPS coupled directional
antennas).

On the other hand Linux is a bit oversized just to be used for an autopilot.
Even with loads of IMU calculations my 166 MHz Gumstix (reduced clock rate due
to GPS interference) has a processor load not greater than 20 percent. Adding
payload software to the system might result in timing issues so the
out-of-the-box OS might need to be tuned into an RTOS.

Choose for yourself.

Viele Grüße, Achim.

http://www.gmx.net/de/go/multimessenger01