Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Port airborne code to Linux

From: Marcus Wolschon
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Port airborne code to Linux
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 20:11:20 +0100

Been there, done that.
http://ccc-fr.de/index.php/Dronenbau

Running on a Gumstix-Verdex with an ARM-processor the size
of a dimm,  downlink via UDP over routed wlan-mesh networking (so in
theory limitless range).
Uplink via UDP requires a few lines of ocaml-coding.
GPS attached via the Linux GPX-daemon sharing the
on-board GPS (GPSStix) with the payload.
Allowing complex payload-logic to run in Linux-Usermode
and inter-operate with the autopilot itself.

      Possibilities

think:
* flightplan-update on something as complex as computer-vision or
* seeking the nearest point where downlink is in range to transfer an important
reading (e.g. a fire detected) at once while flying autonomously and
without contact
unless something is found
* integrating existing third-party -software for aerodynamic calculations
  using readings taken while flying to predict uplifts to glide (real planes
  do that already. remarkable)

      Vision

I believe that this is the right step to go as the payload is as
important as the autopilot but you cannot run software to use
and operate the payload without either an operating-system
or a second computer (The later would have a hard time interacting
with the autopilot).

      Status

I am still strugling with sensor- and RF-hardware, having little
time as another project (the Traveling Salesman navigator for
OpenStreetMap) is taking what little free time I have.
However Paparazzi itself is running fine.

Marcus