Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Connecting the xsens IMU to the Tiny

From: Gautier Hattenberger
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Connecting the xsens IMU to the Tiny
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 14:14:34 +0100

Hello,

There is a driver for the Xsens ins in the airborne code but I don't think anyone ever used it with a fixed wing airframe (it was designed for quadrotors). The problem for you is to update the estimator the value of the ins. Anyway, if you want to try it (using a Twog is the best solution right now in this case), the Xsens can be configured with something like:

 <section name="XSENS_INS">
   <!-- calibrated, orientation, position, velocity, status -->
   <define name="XSENS_OUTPUT_MODE" value="0x0836"/>
   <!-- timestamp, euler, acc, rate, mag, float, no aux, NED -->
   <define name="XSENS_OUTPUT_SETTINGS" value="0x80000C05"/>
 </section>

and in the makefile section (for a Twog):

# XSens
ap.CFLAGS += -DUSE_UART0 -DINS_LINK=Uart0 -DUART0_BAUD=B115200
ap.srcs += latlong.c gps.c gps_xsens.c ins_xsens.c $(QUAD)/ins_quad.c

I hope this will help you. Let me know if you have problems with this driver.

By the way, what is the kind sensor you are using for airspeed. Is it a commercial product or an home made ?

Gautier

Andreas Gäb a écrit :
Hello everybody,

being new to this list, let me first introduce myself: I'm a PhD student
at the Chair of Flight Dynamics at RWTH Aachen University. The chair has
some experience in the MAV sector using PIC based autopilots, but as the
 need for more computational power arose, we recently switched over to
the Paparazzi system. As a start, we are at the moment setting up a
Twinstar airframe with Tiny autopilot.
My goal is to include an online parameter identification algorithm in
the autopilot. This requires inertial and air data. Air data shall be
provided by a five hole probe whose pressure sensors are connected via
the I2C bus, while for inertial data I want to connect an xsens MTi-G.
This uses an RS-232 interface.

The question is now: can I connect the IMU to the Tiny without having to
use the datalink serial port, or would I have to go for the Twog? Is it
possible to reprogram the USB or SPI handlers to act as RS-232, thus
emulating an external converter?

Thanks in advance,
        Andreas Gäb