Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Connecting the xsens IMU to the Tiny

From: Andreas Gäb
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Connecting the xsens IMU to the Tiny
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 15:31:59 +0100

Gautier Hattenberger wrote:
> There is a driver for the Xsens ins in the airborne code but I don't
> think anyone ever used it with a fixed wing airframe (it was designed
> for quadrotors). The problem for you is to update the estimator the
> value of the ins.
I'll have a look into it. For a start, it will possibly be sufficient to
use the position data from the IMU as GPS replacement and query
accelerations and angular rates seperately for PID only.

> Anyway, if you want to try it (using a Twog is the best solution right
> now in this case), the Xsens can be configured with something like:
>
>  <section name="XSENS_INS">
>    <!-- calibrated, orientation, position, velocity, status -->
>    <define name="XSENS_OUTPUT_MODE" value="0x0836"/>
>    <!-- timestamp, euler, acc, rate, mag, float, no aux, NED -->
>    <define name="XSENS_OUTPUT_SETTINGS" value="0x80000C05"/>
>  </section>
>
> and in the makefile section (for a Twog):
>
> # XSens
> ap.CFLAGS += -DUSE_UART0 -DINS_LINK=Uart0 -DUART0_BAUD=B115200
> ap.srcs += latlong.c gps.c gps_xsens.c ins_xsens.c $(QUAD)/ins_quad.c

So UART is the only way to connect, no chance for the Tiny?

> I hope this will help you. Let me know if you have problems with this
> driver.
It helps me in selecting the hardware to buy :-). I'll let you know, but
most probably not before next year.

> By the way, what is the kind sensor you are using for airspeed. Is it a
> commercial product or an home made ?
The probe itself must have been built at the institute here, but no
documentation is left, so nobody knows for sure. The attached sensors
are standard SMD pressure sensors.

Regards,
        Andreas