Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Flight Gear Simulator...

From: Hugo Vincent
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Flight Gear Simulator...
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 19:20:06 +1200

Hi everyone,

We thought about integrating with Flight Gear, but decided it was too large, complex and resource hungry (for our needs anyway), and instead used CRRCSim (look on Source Forge). It uses the same NASA LARC simulator engine, and basically just wraps that in a thin OpenGL layer using SDL and so on...

We also integrated with OpenGC (glass cockpit; www.opengc.org) for some nice graphics. The way we have done it, the Groundstation software receives data in exactly the same way from either the simulator or the onboard systems (albeit at different data rates due to limited radio bandwidth).

See:
http://johnstowers.no-ip.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
http://johnstowers.no-ip.com/wiki/index.php/Simulator
http://johnstowers.no-ip.com/wiki/index.php/Groundstation

A nice screenshot:
http://johnstowers.no-ip.com/wiki/index.php/Image:OpenGC-Simulator- Screenshot.png

And get our code here:
http://johnstowers.no-ip.com/websvn

We needed to make modifications to CRRCSim and OpenGC to integrate them, but I understand that FlightGear can interface over a UDP network, no changes necessary (in FG anyway).

I will be following your progress with interest.

Cheers,
Hugo Vincent.