[Openexr-devel] Single Deep Frame to Stereo Image Pair

From: Vincent Olivier
Subject: [Openexr-devel] Single Deep Frame to Stereo Image Pair
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 17:13:51 -0400 (EDT)

Hi!

Since 2K deep frames in the exr format (32 bits) are between 50MB and 3GB in size and take a long time to render, I was wondering if it was possible to create a approximation of a planar stereo pair using a single deep frame by horizontally offsetting each sample according to a fake simulated stereo camera rig and then collapsing each offset deep images to a pair of stereo images. Such “deep” transform would take one deep input and either have 2 deep outputs (that could then both be wired each to a deep to planar image transform) or render the planar images to 2 planar outputs.

Because I couldn’t find any reference to such a technique anywhere, I was curious to know if the OpenEXR community was aware of any obvious gotchas before trying it.

Regards,

Vincent