Re: [Openexr-devel] A new v1.x optimisation branch

From: Brendan Bolles
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] A new v1.x optimisation branch
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 13:09:23 -0800

On Jan 14, 2013, at 10:45 AM, Piotr Stanczyk wrote:

> We've had a chance to run this on OS X (10.5 & 10.6) and linux, centos 5 & 6
> and as usual it would be great to hear how this fits in on other systems that
> are in use.

I suppose it's obvious that these changes will only work on Intel processors
because of all the SSE2 stuff.  Are we going to use an #ifdef so other
architectures will still build?

It uses posix_memalign(), which didn't didn't appear until the 10.6 SDK on Mac.
 Do you have the 10.6 SDK installed on your 10.5 machine?

Other comments:

I found it a little odd that ChannelList is now a subclass of IIFOptimizable.
Probably just me.

In ImfOptimizedPixelReading.h, the regular channels are assumed to be right eye
and left eye is the exception.  On the 4 or 5 stereo productions I've worked
on, the default was always left.  Not sure if it matters at all.

What kind of speed improvement should we expect?

Brendan