Re: [Openexr-devel] Established deep data file extension?

From: Piotr Stanczyk
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Established deep data file extension?
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 19:13:50 +0000

Certainly, the .exr extension is a valid one. The v2.0 library will read 1.x
images just fine; and if only the 1.x subset of features is used then the files
written will be identical to those written by 1.7.
It is worth bearing in mind that  v2 is capable of writing multi-part images;
in such scenarios the first part may be a 'flat' image and the subsequent one a
'deep' image.

Having said that, I'd like to echo Peter's sentiment of having an
additional/separate extension that could be easily recognized as a deep exr
file.
Given that the stereo feature set went for a .sxr or .mxr for stereo /
multi-view images .dxr / .dexr is perfectly appropriate for the deep data
images. (The chances for confusion with director are quite minimal and at some
stage extension collision will be hard to avoid.)

Piotr