[Openexr-devel] Re: P.S.

From: Thomas Richter
Subject: [Openexr-devel] Re: P.S.
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 20:27:33 +0100

Gregory J. Ward wrote:
Hi Thomas,

I have a DVD I can send you -- it's 4 GBytes of data, so a bit too
much for my website.
I could provide an upload to an sftp server (actually, the JPEG sftp
server for test material) if this suits you fine?

I don't particularly want to commit my laptop to 3+ hours of upload. Do you need this right away, or can it wait a week or so?

It can definitely wait for a week - I'm traveling the next week (JPEG meeting in SF) - so I won't be able to perform much experiments. A DVD would be fine as well.

Actually, I was referring to Dolby Canada's format -- not very well
advertised, obviously.  It's a backwards-compatible extension to
standard JPEG for HDR content, described in the following CIC 2005 paper:

    http://www.anyhere.com/gward/papers/cic05.pdf

Thanks for this work - I had the time to go through it, I like it, and I find a lot of good starting points for further research.

The maximum capacity of this extension is about 9 or 10 orders of
magnitude, so I'm not sure it fits with your priorities, but I can
provide you with the libraries if you want to include it in your
evaluations.
If possible, sure. However, libraries for which operating system? Since
the complete evaluation tool-chain is script-driven and Linux-based, I
would prefer simple
command line front-ends in the form of binaries for AMD64 systems that
compress and expand images from a documented format (openexr would be
great ;-) to the HDR-JPEG, and back. It's a 64 bit system because some
of the evaluation algorithms require really *a lot* of memory. Libraries
or plugins for photoshop wouldn't help, unfortunately. This is a)
because we don't have photoshop here, and b) it doesn't work on Linux,
either. (-: Alternatively, if this is an option for you, source code
would do it if you can release it under a license that would allow
testing; if this requires a NDA, let me know.

I don't have the rights to distribute source code with or w/o an NDA at this time, but getting you a Linux binary isn't a big deal. It might not be 64-bit, but it should still run on an AMD64. Try grabbing the archive:

    http://www.anyhere.com/gward/pickup/hdrgen_linux.tar.gz

In the bin directory should be an executable called "hdrcvt" that will convert from most any HDR format to and from JPEG-HDR, like so:

    hdrcvt -q qual_setting input.{hdr|exr|tif} converted.jpg

Converting back is just:

    hdrcvt -q 100 converted.jpg comparison.{exr|hdr|tif}

Setting the quality to 100 on the reverse conversion forces IEEE floating point output in the case of TIFF, but doesn't affect EXR.

Also, if you want that test image I mentioned, it's on my website at:

    http://www.anyhere.com/gward/pickup/test1flt.tif

Thanks, I picked the binary, it works fine here - from the scratch, no trouble - and tests are running (on the ILM test material right now). Thus, I really don't need any sources.

Would you be interested in the results? Is it acceptable to present the results in a scientific work and/or in the ISO committee? If so, please let me know under which conditions.

Thanks a lot, this is a very helpful discussion.

Thomas