Re: [Openexr-devel] OT: Photoshop plugins on the mac

From: Darrin Cardani
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] OT: Photoshop plugins on the mac
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 12:53:40 -0600

At 5:54 PM +0000 1/13/05, Ciaran Wills wrote:
Ah, but my hopes were raised by Chris Cox saying "BTW - XCode and GCC is
possible, but a LOT more pain than they're worth." in an Adobe forum.
Chris, I know you're on this list - care to comment? ;)

I don't know what Chris was referring to, but one option would be to write a small CFM wrapper (which would require CodeWarrior), and have it simply load and call a Mach-O executable using things like CFBundleGetFunctionPointerForName (). I've used such a scheme in CFM plugins to call parts of the OS that were normally only accessible from Mach-O.

The problem is that if you did this with a plugin, you'd have to have your CFM wrapper put CFM to Mach-O glue around every callback function you called, and wrap all your callback functions in Mach-O to CFM glue for Photoshop to call.

So it can be done, but is hardly ever worth it. And, since it still requires a CFM piece, you still need to have CodeWarrior, so it doesn't save you from having to buy it (which will still be cheaper than the time you'd spend wrapping all those functions).

Darrin
--
Darrin Cardani - address@hidden
President, Buena Software, Inc.