Re: [Openexr-devel] OT: Photoshop plugins on the mac

From: Paul Schneider
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] OT: Photoshop plugins on the mac
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 09:21:27 -0800

Hi, Ciaran,

there are two formats of object code supported on OS X - CFM, which is inherited from OS 9, and mach-O, which is inherited from NeXT. Photoshop plugins must currently be CFM, but Xcode/ProjectBuilder/gcc only produce mach-O binaries. So, CodeWarrior is required for building Photoshop plugins.

Adobe will probably switch over to mach-O at some point, but I don't know if they've made any announcements about this (and they certainly won't add the support to earlier versions of Photoshop). In the meantime, CodeWarrior is required for building Photoshop plugins (also After Effects, Illustrator, etc).

I know that Metrowerks offers a "learning edition" version of their tools which are pretty inexpensive, but I think that they're only for non-commercial use. I also seem to remember that they don't include a CFM linker, making them useless for Adobe plugin development. I could be wrong about that, though. If you do decide to purchase CodeWarrior, make sure that the version you get supports CFM development.

Sorry I don't have better news...

- Paul