Re: Help in JSON encode/decode project

From: Andrew Janke
Subject: Re: Help in JSON encode/decode project
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2020 01:56:42 -0400

On 3/8/20 4:04 PM, Andrew Janke wrote:

> On 3/8/20 3:53 PM, Abdallah Elshamy wrote:
>>
>>     > If you want to make a project out of it, spend some time with it
>>     and see
>>     > where you think you can help improve it.
>>
>> Thanks for your reply.
>>

>> I followed your advice and started spending some time with it. Also the
>> issues list [1] of the package provided some useful info. What I think I
>> can help in improving are:
>>
>>   *
>>
>>     Using RapidJson instead of jsoncpp to enhance performance.
>>
>>   *
>>
>>     modifying jsondecode to be compatible with RapidJson.
>>
>>   *
>>
>>     Writing jsonencode in c++ to improve performance.
>>
>>   *
>>
>>     Verifying the “condensation” algorithm by writing more tests then
>>     moving it to c++.
>>
>>   *
>>
>>     Some modifications is needed in the documentation (for example the
>>     documentation of jsondecode function is just a repetition of the
>>     documentation of jsonencode.)
>>
>>   *
>>
>>     preparing the two functions to be integrated to the core of octave
>>     rather than a package.
>>

>> I was thinking that writing tests [2] will help me more in understanding
>> the project and the package. Do you think it’s a good idea to do so (in
>> parallel with my preparation of the proposal with you and the
>> maintainers of octave)?
>>

>> Thanks for your time.
>>
>> Abdallah
>>

>> [1] https://github.com/apjanke/octave-jsonstuff/issues
>>
>> [2] https://github.com/apjanke/octave-jsonstuff/issues/13
>

> For what it's worth, I think writing more unit tests so we can get to a
> comprehensive test suite is the top priority for jsondecode. That will
> make everything else listed here easier and safer.
>
> This list sounds right to me, except I'm not sure about switching to
> RapidJson. Do you know of any benchmarks comparing the performance of
> jsondecode and RapidJson? Or would we need to do that testing ourselves?
>
> Oops. Sorry about the bad doco on jsondecode. That definitely needs
> fixed. https://github.com/apjanke/octave-jsonstuff/issues/17
>
> Cheers,
> Andrew

I took a look in to RapidJSON and agree that it looks like a better
library for this than jsoncpp, both for performance, and code quality &
documentation. I have migrated JsonStuff to use RapidJSON.
https://github.com/apjanke/octave-jsonstuff/issues/18

A new JsonStuff version 0.3.3 is out that now uses RapidJSON.

I also did a basic fix for the jsondecode documentation, but much more
documentation work is needed.

Cheers,
Andrew