Re: How to contribute a new package to Octave Forge

From: Reinhard
Subject: Re: How to contribute a new package to Octave Forge
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2020 10:01:21 +0100

On Fri, 2020-03-06 at 17:42 +0100, Olaf Till wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 05, 2020 at 08:26:55PM +0100, Reinhard wrote:
> > I would like to contribute a new package to Octave Forge. It
> > contains
> > several utility functions related to process creation, parallel
> > execution of functions, design of experiment, plotting,
> > interpolation,
> > command line parsing and others. It is the first, but not the only
> > package, I want to contribute. I want to make this package an
> > external
> > package.
>
> Personally I'm sceptical because your package seems to be too
> heterogeneous. It sounds as if the components should rather be
> contributed to existing packages or Octave core, if they are
> fitting. Even if you intend the package to be external.
>
> But if you have a different opinion and want to convince the octave
> forge maintainers of it, maybe you should make your code accessible
> and give a more detailed description.
>
> Olaf

Dear Mr. Olaf Till,

I have uploaded the package to Github, so you can check it.
https://github.com/octave-user/mboct-octave-pkg.git

Although this package may be used standalone, it provides common
functions needed by other packages. Those I want to contribute step by
step. The main purpose of those packages is, to provide tools for pre-
and post-processing of general flexible bodies in MBDyn (www.mbdyn.org)
. There is a lot of functionality in those packages. For that reason, I
have decided to split the code into several packages.

Best regards,
Reinhard