Re: Octave v4.4 in PPA

From: Richard Crozier
Subject: Re: Octave v4.4 in PPA
Date: Wed, 30 May 2018 09:07:32 +0100

On 29/05/18 17:14, Mike Miller wrote:
On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 14:25:18 +0100, Richard Crozier wrote:
really? I thought one of the purposes of an Ubuntu PPA (Personal Package
Archive) was to make the latest versions of a package available before it
was packaged officially in a distribution.

That is one of the purposes of some PPAs, but not this PPA.

The purpose of this PPA is to backport the latest packaged version of
Octave in Ubuntu's development release to the LTS releases. The current
version of Octave in Ubuntu 18.10 is 4.2.2.

For a PPA which users have to actively seek out and install, I think there
might be less expectation of every forge package working correctly. It would
be nice to at least have the option to use the latest release in a
relatively easy way. I'm asking because I have a user who wants to use some
software I've written which only works in 4.4 and it's really quite
difficult to get 4.4 if you don't build it yourself from source, which is
non-trivial for the average user.