Re: Octave v4.4 in PPA

From: avlas
Subject: Re: Octave v4.4 in PPA
Date: Tue, 29 May 2018 09:33:30 -0400

El dimarts, 29 de maig de 2018, a les 9:25:18 EDT, Richard Crozier va escriure:

  On 29/05/18 14:11, Oliver Heimlich wrote:
  > Am 29. Mai 2018 14:28:05 MESZ schrieb Richard Crozier <address@hidden>:
  >> Dear list,
  >>
  >> Are there any plans to update the "GNU Octave stable releases" Ubuntu
  >> ppa with the latest release (4.4)? I might be able to help with this if
  >>
  >> there are specific tasks that need done to make this happen.
  >>
  >> Regards,
  >>
  >> Richard
  >
  > Dear Richard,
  >
  > I guess that the Ubuntu PPA will be updated after upgrading Octave to
version 4.4 in Debian.

  really? I thought one of the purposes of an Ubuntu PPA (Personal Package
  Archive) was to make the latest versions of a package available before
  it was packaged officially in a distribution.

  > The latter is currently delayed, because several Octave Forge packages are
not compatible with Octave 4.4 anymore. There has been some progress lately
with new package releases on Octave Forge. IIRC, these haven't been pushed in
Debian yet. Also some packages still might need some work to become compatible
with Octave 4.4.

  > Best
  > Oliver

  For a PPA which users have to actively seek out and install, I think
  there might be less expectation of every forge package working
  correctly. It would be nice to at least have the option to use the
  latest release in a relatively easy way. I'm asking because I have a
  user who wants to use some software I've written which only works in 4.4
  and it's really quite difficult to get 4.4 if you don't build it
  yourself from source, which is non-trivial for the average user.

  I also think it's a pity that it's actually easier to get Octave 4.4 for
  Windows than Ubuntu.

  Having said all that, I realise there is significant work in maintaining
  a ppa, hence the offer of help if possible.

  Richard

I used to use the ppa but now there is a flatpak package, which may replace it:
https://github.com/flathub/org.octave.Octave

a.