Re: Hi-Resolution Icons

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Hi-Resolution Icons
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 03:58:23 -0800 (PST)

Mike Miller wrote
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 16:02:59 -0800, Rik wrote:
> <snip>
> Can anyone say whether Windows is happy with PNG these days and we don't
> even need the ICO file anymore? In
>

> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/RFC-icon-fix-requires-additional-tools-to-build-Octave-from-hg-tt4665545.html#a4665552
>
> Philip wrote that he uses PNG files for launchers in Windows.

I can't reproduce that png icon usage anymore these days with the mxe
builds. But newer Windows versions definitely support PNG icons.  IIRC
support for (compressed) PNG was introduced in Windows Vista.
Documentation for it is not easily found, but I didn't search very hard.
There are some stumbling blocks anyway, see here:
https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2c807b02-ea85-497d-8342-a971c6a3c4a6/png-icon-format?forum=windowsgeneraldevelopmentissues

As to icon size: Windows doesn't require a multitude of icon sizes as its
icon display isn't very flexible (just two display sizes: regular and small;
AFAIU it'll scale icons down itself for "small icon" settings).
Perhaps PNGs allow more flexibility, but from what I've seen that
flexibility isn't used in Win7; maybe win 8+ is more configurable. Perhaps
it is used in alternative GUIs/"desktop managers" for Windows (I've tried a
few in Win2000 several years ago) but very very few people would use those,
their existence is not widely known.

Philip