Re: Hi-Resolution Icons

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Hi-Resolution Icons
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 00:37:22 -0500

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 12:50:27 -0500, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 02/16/2015 10:50 AM, rik wrote:
>
> >That's two votes for Mike's solution which is good enough.
>
> I agree that we should try to avoid keeping generated files in the repo.
> Or, even if we do, we should still write down the rules for generating the
> files and have a "maintainer super clean" target that removes the generated
> files and exercises the rules.
>
> I also think that these icon files should be treated like the configure
> script, the flex and bison generated files, and doc files for tar file
> distributions.  Users who build from tar files should not need to generate
> these files unless they modify the corresponding source files.

I believe the changeset I pushed does all of this correctly:

  http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/1687269e31e4

The icotool and rsvg-convert programs are now required to build from hg
and to make the `dist` target. The icons are generated, are in the tar
source distribution, and are also installed to what I think are the
correct paths for freedesktop compatible systems:

  http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/icon-theme-spec-latest.html

The Windows icon is generated but not installed, it can be copied and
used wherever it's needed by the mxe-octave build. It now contains
multiple resolutions so it should scale correctly when used on Windows
systems.

--
mike