Re: Willing to work for octave.

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: Willing to work for octave.
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 21:05:29 +0000

On 9 Jan 2014 18:57, "Juan Pablo Carbajal" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 7:51 PM, Priyank Bhatt
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I have been following Maintainers List for quite a while but i am finding
> > difficult to find start point. So can you direct me to some code snipppets
> > or fixing small bugs So I get used to Octave.
>
> If you are looknig for suggestions I would direct you to the current
> version of pkg.m as oyu can see is a monolithic bastard. We have been
> working on a encapsulation and segmentation of the function here
> https://bitbucket.org/carandraug/octave/commits/d670ed4e5ae64541056dec352af0901270a381c9?at=pkg#chg-scripts/pkg/pkg.m
>
> It is an easy start and gets you to know the basics of adding
> functionality to GNU octave via packages. It is really easy work
> (hence I can work on it) and it may provide a nice entry point.

I really don't think this is a good project. While the coding part may be simple, it requires to know how packages are, and what is needed by users and developers.

There are lists of missing functions that you could pick to start but really, first of all, the question is "why do you want to work for Octave?"

Carnë