Re: control toolbox - time delays

From: Lukas Reichlin
Subject: Re: control toolbox - time delays
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 20:29:36 +0100

On 10.01.2013, at 19:50, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 10 January 2013 18:29, Lukas Reichlin
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Mercurial would be a good idea, IMHO. Especially because the current
>> SVN web interface sucks, the one we had until a few months ago was
>> much better for browsing and comparing code (IIRC ViewVC) and one
>> could download directories as .tar.gz archives for installation.
>
> Lukas, the idea would be to create one hg repo per OF package and
> manage them with something like the default hgweb or Rhodecode:
>
>    http://demo.rhodecode.org/
>
> But then branches of the control package would both be within the same
> hg repo. The hg web interface allows you to get tarballs of a specific
> branch, e.g.
>
>    Stable branch tarball for core Octave repo
>    http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/archive/57046e0a9fb5.tar.gz
>
>    Tarball for classdef branch
>    http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/archive/8521321604df.tar.gz

That sounds very good to me. I think that one hg repo per package makes sense.
I already check out single packages by SVN instead of the entire OF repo.

> You can also browse the code with hg, not sure if you like the style
> or not:
>
>    Default style:
>
> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/8521321604df/src/mkoctfile.in.cc#l1
>
>    gitweb style:
>
> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/8521321604df/src/mkoctfile.in.cc?style=gitweb#l1
>
> We can completely customise the web look if we want to.

I prefer the gitweb style, but I don't care much about the look as long as the
functionality is there.

> At any rate, let me know if any of this looks better than what you're
> currently using with svn and you're not afraid to learn a new VCS
> (AIUI, you're new to hg, right?):
>
>    http://hginit.com/

As I have to learn for exams and I hardly write any code at the moment, it's a
good time to switch the VCS. I'm new to hg, but I don't know much about SVN
either. I'm able to commit and I understand what the idea behind a DVCS like hg
is, that's it :-) I'll have a look at hginit, thanks for the link.

> If so, I could give some priority to bringing hg to OF.
>
> On 10 January 2013 18:28, Carnë Draug <address@hidden> wrote:
>> When I said time cost, I meant my own at the moment. If someone else
>> can do it, I will welcome the change.
>
> Oh, I was offering my own time, of course, not yours.
>
> - Jordi G. H.

Lukas