Re: waitbar function

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: waitbar function
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 10:24:40 +0000

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 9:40 AM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> I have added a graphical waitbar function to Octave.
>
> Doing that required several changes to the graphics code that I'm not
> 100% confident about so there could be a few problems.  The list of
> changesets related to the addition of this function is:
>
>  http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/718f78b01de1
>  http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/760e4e88dba3

You should be able to achieve the same by simply calling
get_bounding_box() method, instead of exposing static functions.
Moreover, the get_bounding_box() method also handle the 1-based
indexing as well as Y-direction flipping ((1,1) corresponds to the
bottom-left corner of the screen).

>  http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/5acb5c25e4ae
>  http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/195ff3561152

Could you explain why you need non-integer figure handles?

>  http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/d7d14f1a4c4d
>  http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/a2e158c3451f

- You typically use NaN as first argument of __go_figure__. Oh, I see
that you actually use that to produce a non-integer figure handle
- Wouldn't it be more efficient to modify the properties of the
existing patch object, instead of recreating a new one?

> Please let me know as soon as possible if you notice any new problems
> with plotting.
>
> The waitbar seems to work correctly with OpenGL+FLTK graphics, but it
> doesn't seem to do the right thing with gnuplot.  I haven't debugged
> that yet, but it looks like gca or gcf is being called
> inappropriately so it is popping up extra windows.  If you have any
> clues about exactly why or where that is happening, let me know.
>
> I'd also appreciate any help with fixing the FLTK functions so that we
> can omit the button and status panel from the the bottom of figure
> windows (the waitbar window should not have one).

Matlab doesn't have any status bar in the figure window. But maybe you
could use the "toolbar" figure property to hide the statusbar in FLTK
window?

Michael.