Re: Performance issues on Windows, suggests a MSVC build

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Performance issues on Windows, suggests a MSVC build
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 20:58:25 -0400

On 22-Jun-2011, Jeff wrote:

| I was a Linux and Unix developer through grad school and my first few jobs,
| but found as a consultant that all of my clients were using Windows.  I had
| to make the transition.  Around the same time I started contributing to an
| open source finite element analysis application.  I have since ported the
| application to Windows.  It now has at least as many Windows users as *nux.
|
| I use Octave, SciPy and SciLab and have considered getting involved in one
| of them.
|
| I would be happy to look at Octave.  What I have done before is use a
| minimum number of #ifdefs to take care of differences or contribute code
| which functioned equally well, but compiled on Windows.

Octave already builds on Windows systems.  The problem is that we have
no one who is actively working on building binary releases for the
masses...

Look here for collected info about building Octave on Windows systems:

http://octave.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/octave/trunk/octave-forge/admin/Windows/

Note that this is the Octave Forge site (contributed packages for
Octave), not the Octave site itself.