Re: after 3.2

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: after 3.2
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 19:40:00 +0100

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 5:19 PM, Bill Denney <address@hidden> wrote:
> Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
>> As for the Windows binaries, it would be fairly nice to have something
>> similar to auto-updates provided by Linux distros. I'm fairly
>> convinced that users don't really mind bugs if there's a good chance
>> of getting rid of them by a few clicks within a month via some
>> automatic update mechanism.  Imagine a dialog popping up for the
>> Windows user telling him "an update is available, click OK to
>> install". But of course, this would require some development.
>>

> Hi Jaroslav,
>
> This shouldn't be too hard.  The windows packagers could possibly run
> something like this in the .octaverc file.  The downside is that getting
> the URL will cause an indeterminate time pause during startup.
>
> Have a good day,
>
> Bill

Hi Bill,

the implied pause is exactly why I talked about some development. I
was more thinking about an application that is silently launched in
background (perhaps only once per week or so), waits for the http
query, and then possibly pops up a dialog suggesting Octave upgrade.
It's been years since I developed anything on Windows, but I don't
think it should be very hard - I think even Windows script host was
capable of such things.

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert & GNU Octave developer