Re: deprecated functions

From: Jason Riedy
Subject: Re: deprecated functions
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 13:51:24 -0500

And Jaroslav Hajek writes:
> As for the work, I'd like to kindly ask you to first share your plans.
> You see, actually enabling the behavior you ask for is almost as easy
> as changing the default conversion of diagonal matrices to sparse
> ones, then I think just about everything will immediatelly work
> correctly, though not as efficiently as it could.

Sure does.  And as you said, that's the easy step.  It's a small,
localized patch; I'll send it along shortly.

> We should certainly specialize diag * sparse and diag \ sparse, and
> probably also diag + sparse and diag - sparse (because we do so for
> dense matrices), but it can, and should, be done incrementally.

My first target will be diag * sparse and sparse * diag.  I had
tried to jump in whole-hog, but somehow DEFBINOP_OP spun off into
an infinite recursion.  But that was the sketch last night, and
now I'm heading in the more sensible way.

> I would like to reuse as much code as reasonably possible here.

Oh, I would like to see many things, particularly templates
rather than macros and a sprinkling of OpenMP.  But that will
have to be evolutionary as well.  I'll post what I have once
something sensible works.

Jason