Re: @ref into @seealso

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: @ref into @seealso
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 10:57:45 +0200

tir, 21 10 2008 kl. 09:15 +0100, skrev David Bateman:
> Thorsten Meyer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I think that it would be quite useful to transform the references in the
> > @seealso sections in the documentation of the octave functions into
> > texinfo references (e.g. @ref).
> > I would like to do it like that:
> >  - add a perl script to the make sequence of the octave documentation,
> > that does the following:
> > - parse the .txi files to collect information on which file
> > contains
> > the documentation of which function
> > - postprocess the DOCSTRINGS files to transform all
> > @seealso(anyfunction) sections into @seealso(@ref(anyfunction,,its-txifile))
> >
> > (I have found, that anchor for all the functions already get added to
> > the .texi files by munch-texi).
> >
> > Would you consider an according changeset?
> > Is it ok to add the (as far as I can see) second perl dependency to the
> > build process?
> >
> > regards
> >
> > Thorsten Meyer
> >

> Couldn't this be done in the @seealso macro itself? Also Soren did
> something similar in python for the Octave-forge webpages, where the
> @seealso macros create hyper-links to the other functions. See for example
>
> http://octave.sourceforge.net/doc/f/cat.html
>
> that cross references horzcat and vertcat.

Yeah, I think I did that in python. I remember trying to do it directly
in texinfo, but for some reason that never worked out. I have an
implementation of the same thing as an m-file at
http://hauberg.org/wiki/doku.php?id=generate_html

I think the m-file solution is much nicer than the one in python. So, if
you want to play around with this stuff, I recommend that you look at
the m-file implementation.

Søren