Re: Octave and GSOC'2008

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: Octave and GSOC'2008
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 18:06:21 +0100

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 5:45 PM, John Swensen <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Feb 26, 2008, at 11:12 AM, Søren Hauberg wrote:
>  >
>  > 1) Make a list of suggested projects.
>  > 2) Do the paper work to actually apply.
>  >
>  > So, it doesn't seem like that much work...
>  >
>  > Søren
>  >

>  I have a suggestion for a project idea, based on previous mailing list
>  postings.  A while back, Muthiah Annamalai suggested using LLVM to
>  implement JIT for Octave.  John Eaton commented how it would be a big
>  project, mostly due to type inferencing.  I was wondering if it would
>  be a reasonable as a project for GSOC to integrate LLVM in a very
>  limited sense, i.e. only providing JIT for integer indexed loops.
>  While this may seem like a very limited use of LLVM, it would probably
>  provide key insights into how something like LLVM could be integrated
>  more fully into Octave, and it seems like a project that could be
>  completed in a summer's worth of work.
>
>  John Swensen

Some time ago I was thinking about employing GNU Lightning for the same purpose
(JIT compiling of simple loops). It seems that LLVM would be a better
tool, though.
Anyway, I'd possibly apply for such project (though this is a little
bit out of my league, so
there will likely be more suitable candidates).

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert