Re: Octave and GSOC'2008

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: Octave and GSOC'2008
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 17:12:25 +0100

tir, 26 02 2008 kl. 16:22 +0100, skrev Michael Goffioul:
> Google has just started the Summer of Code 2008 program. I was
> wondering if this was of any interest for octave (and maybe trigger
> a discussion).
Yeah, I was thinking about that as well. From what I understand, most of
the projects that get selected for GSOC are the ones that get selected
last year, so I don't think it will be particularly easy to get Octave
selected. It doesn't, however, hurt to try :-)
  To apply as a project to GSOC we have to:

      * To provide a publicly published list of project ideas that
        participating students will choose a project from to work on for
        the duration of the Program;

This could be some work, but I guess having such a list could be helpful
in it self. From time to time, new people ask for such a list.

      * To make available a person or persons to take in student
        suggestions for projects should those students not find
        something that appeals to them on the published list and either
        approve or reject those suggestions;
      * To make available a person or persons to review the incoming
        student applications targeted to the Organization and to decide
        which applications should be accepted;
      * To make available a person or persons responsible for helping
        students integrate with the project's community;

I don't think this would require much (any?) work if Octave doesn't get
selected. Should Octave get selected, I don't think this should be much
work anyway.

      * To make available a person or persons to monitor the progress of
        the students and mentor them as the project proceeds (hereafter
        "Mentor(s)");
      * To make available alternate mentor or mentors ready to take over
        for the aforementioned Mentor(s) in the event s/he is unable to
        continue providing guidance to the accepted student applicant;

This could be some work, but only in the case where a student actually
gets assigned to develop something for Octave.

      * To provide a written evaluation of each student developer,
        including but not limited to how s/he worked with the group, if
        s/he should be invited back should we do another Google Summer
        of Code, etc. The Mentor Organization agrees that Google may use
        the results of this evaluation for recruiting purposes. The
        results of this evaluation will not be made available to the
        general public or the student participant, except in those cases
        where the Mentor Organization provides consent for Google to
        share the evaluation results with the student. However, Google
        reserves the right to share the Mentor Organization's evaluation
        with the student participant or others, with or without consent,
        in extreme cases such as where the Mentor Organization's
        feedback may be vital to arbitration with the student regarding
        payment or non-payment of stipend;

Again, this will be some work, but only if Octave actually gets
selected.

      * That Google may publicize the Mentor Organization's
        participation in the Program, the names of participating Mentors
        from the Organization and the results of the Program for the
        purposes of executing on program logistics, including but not
        limited to announcements made regarding calls for student
        applications;

Shouldn't be a problem.

      * To provide all necessary tax forms or other tax related
        documentation required to provide payment to the Organization;

Don't know about this one. Here it should be said that Google pays $500
to Octave for each student assigned to Octave.

So, it seems the minimal amount of work to apply for GSOC is:

1) Make a list of suggested projects.
2) Do the paper work to actually apply.

So, it doesn't seem like that much work...

Søren