Re: pkg netlist

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: pkg netlist
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 20:55:07 -0500

On 27-Feb-2007, David Bateman wrote:

| I added code to the octave-forge CVS to create a file with the MD5 sum
| of all of the package files and add it to the website. I've uploaded it
| to the test website in
|
| http://octave.dbateman.org/packages.md5
|
| You should be able to use this file to identify the new packages and
| check the integrity of downloaded files.

I think it has been mentioned before that looking at checksums is not
a very useful check if the checksum files are distributed alongside
the packages because if the packages have been replaced with some
counterfeit version, then it is likely that the checksum file has also
been replaced.

| This would be easier if the m5sum function I sent earlier today was
| in octave :-)

It's fine with me if you add that.  My only question is whether
md5.{h,c} files are the best to use, mostly from a licensing point of
view.  Are there any implementations available that are GPL?