Re: pkg netlist

From: Bob Weigel
Subject: Re: pkg netlist
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 18:30:12 -0500

> I had an issue with the idea of the pkgget command. Sourceforge requests
> that all downloads go through a specific interface rather than directly
> to one of the mirrors. They request this so that file download
> statistics are correct. So this means that yes you will be able to go to
> one of the mirror to get a package like
>
> http://ovh.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/octave/signal-1.0.0.tar.gz
>
> but Sourceforge doesn't like you to do it. Until recently you couldn't
> wget the package download page to get the package, but it appears they
> have fixed this issue and so running wget on
>
> http://downloads.sourceforge.net/octave/signal-1.0.0.tar.gz?download
>

>From the command line
curl -L
"http://downloads.sourceforge.net/octave/octave-forge-2006.07.09.tar.gz?download";

works.  If -L is dropped it does not work. (-L essentially enables "following
of redirects"). As you mentioned wget works using the sourceforge-preferred
URL

wget
"http://downloads.sourceforge.net/octave/octave-forge-2006.07.09.tar.gz?download";

I don't have urlwrite.oct compiled on my machine, but I am assuming that you
tried it on yours and it failed.  However, based on the fact that Octave uses
the curl library, I think it is a matter of finding the switch in the source
code to tell curl to follow redirects.

Bob