Re: [nmh-workers] I Could Have Sworn that the inc Command used to work.

From: Bakul Shah
Subject: Re: [nmh-workers] I Could Have Sworn that the inc Command used to work.
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2019 08:21:01 -0700

On Jun 8, 2019, at 7:52 AM, Ralph Corderoy <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Bakul,
>
>> Privilege escalation should be done externally.
>
> Regardless of whether it's a good idea, since the kernel is using
> effective user and group IDs for testing permissions, if a user ID is
> used to determine what files to access then it should be the effective
> one rather than the real one.  Do you agree?

I haven't thought about this to be frank because IMHO privilege escalation
should be used very very sparingly.  My instinct would be to use euid/egid
*only* in programs that *are* to be used setuid/setgid. So that a misuse
will be caught more quickly. More as a general principle. Your checking
From/Subject for another user is not likely to be a common practice.