Re: [nmh-workers] I Could Have Sworn that the inc Command used to work.

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [nmh-workers] I Could Have Sworn that the inc Command used to work.
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2019 14:17:09 +0100

Hi Ken,

> > I notice that a setuid inc(1) has various troubles due to the use of
> > real user ID rather than effective.
>
> Like ... what?

It's simple to copy inc and make it setuid to another user and then run
it.

    $ ./inc

    This message will not be repeated until nmh is next updated.

    Press enter to continue:

    inc: error on folder /home/ralph/mail/inbox: Permission denied
    $

So it's trying to access my inbox rather than the other user's.  Also,
both the other user and I have already acknowledged the 1.7+dev welcome
message, yet it is shown again.  I expect other problems would come to
light if I persisted.

> I would have though using the real UID would have been the correct
> answer.

I have permission to access the effective user's files, and not the real
user's, then shouldn't those be the ones I'm attempting to access?

> Also, I didn't even think we supported that

This is Unix and setuid and setgid is normal.  Unless we explicitly rule
it out in some cases, it's ruled in.  :-)

--
Cheers, Ralph.