[Nel] NeL's GPL status

From: Damon Trask
Subject: [Nel] NeL's GPL status
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 15:33:20 -0700

Hey all, new to the list and got a quick question for you folks here.
I am brand new to NeL, and considering using it to work on a commercial game project. But I have a few questions about the GPL liscense attached to the source.

A friend of mine said that GPL is interpreted that if you link, call or use GPL'd code in any fashion in a piece of software intended for public distribution, that you must include *all* the source code of the intended software, even if the GPL parts are very small/minor.
Is this true?

Also, if this *is* true, how would it be possible to design a commercial Persistant State World game client under GPL (meaning the source becomes public), and still maintain system/service security. If the source to the client becomes public, is it still possible to keep people from hacking, cheating, or any number of malicious activities against your product/service?

Any help here would be appreciated...

Trace Kern
Shattered Prism Studios
~Remember, Everything is possible!~