Re: [Nel] (no subject)

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: Re: [Nel] (no subject)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 14:38:37 +0100

Vianney Lecroart writes:
 > HI,
 >
 > > I got the Nel/Nelns/Snowballs sources off of Loic's site, and they
 > > compile fine, however everything segfaults instantly when I run it.
 >
 > If it crashs, it should generate a log (in the /var/games/nelns for nelns).
 > Anyway, I thing it "crashs" because the program doesn't find the .cfg that
 > should be in the same directory as the executable.

        My guess is that it comes from a trivial error that does not show
because logging is turned off (no log.log no stdout messages).

        With the debian package, logs go to /var/log/{snowballs,nelns}. But
this is only for the server part. I guess the question was related to the
client part.

        When snowballs is installed from the debian package,
configuration files are fetched from /etc/snowballs and data from
/usr/share/games/snowballs.  You can run snowballs from any location,
as one would normaly expect.

        What really sucks at present is that I the packages are compiled
with error messages turned off. If I turn them back on, someone running
a nel server would soon have a disk full of log messages. I'm don't know
if there is a way to define log levels so that only error messages
show and/or to control this from a configuration file.

        I'll look into this when the pending patches are applied, I fear to
stack too much at the same time ;-)

        Cheers,