Re: [Nel] open source MMORPG and hacks/cheats question (probably off top

From: alfred
Subject: Re: [Nel] open source MMORPG and hacks/cheats question (probably off topic)
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 22:20:56 +1100

I have nothing to do with the nevrax team but I know the answer to this. To put it simply, there is not security in obscurity. The protection isn't in the alogrithm, its in the "secret" that is shared. This axiom has been proved time and again, just look at the troubles windows has with its codebase... The lack of published source code ain't helping them.

I am not sure what security model nel will adopt but there are many to choose from and none suffer from the openness of the protocol. You could sign the client binaries with a public/private key pair. This stops trivial hacks. You would also run a secure game server which does bounds checking on the input, this stops obvious hacking. You can also encrypt the client->server data stream. Fundamentally you are in trouble because the client is a generalised computing machine which the user has complete control over, if they have the machine code they can crack it, but you can make it damn hard. You can also make any hack shortlived by having dynamic binaries. The open source nature of nel only makes it more secure as any flaws or bugs in the implementation will be spotted and solved, rather than being exploited (many eyes make bugs shallow).

:)

Alexander Denisov wrote:

Hi to everybody, I think this is my first time posting on the mailing list.

I was thinking lately about GPL/open source discussion, and one question
still bothers me: hacks and cheats in MMORPG.

I have seen a couple of times when hacks/cheats ruined great games
(and I do believe that Nevrax is doing a very good game), since online
gameplay is very sensitive to such things.

By publishing source code of the game, isn't it like giving a "green light"
to hackers? Are there any ways
somehow to prevent (or at least try to prevent) hacks and cheats, even if
hacker
knows the source code? Can the game company keep the network part of their
game in secret
(though I don't see how, since its clearly using NeL in this case).

I appologise if my question is completely unrelated to NeL and Nevrax game,
since all the details are kept in secret, but I think that this is very
important question.

By the way, thanks for the great engine! (though I'm still trying to compile
it)

Alex